The next Level 1 two day training workshop will take place at Littleton on Sundays 26th November and 2nd December. This workshop is now fully subscribed, but if anyone is still interested they should get in touch in the normal way via the SCPF website where you will also find further information about judging. Peter Rocchiccioli will create a reserve list and, if there is demand, will consider running a further workshop sooner.
We have an arrangement with Bognor that they will promote our sub groups activities (which they do not offer) and we will publicise their workshop events. Full details of the workshops can be found on their website www.bognorregiscameraclub.org.uk but over the next few months there will Saturday morning workshops on: Getting to Grips with your Digital Camera; Introduction to Composition; Photographing Wildlife and Basic Image Processing. The workshops cost £10 for a 3 hour session on a Saturday morning, are well organised and good value for money.
Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far to steward during the Annual Exhibition. However there are still far too many spaces – so if you haven’t yet signed up, please do so .
You can see the rota here Stewards Rota 20180803 update
Please contact Phil Shaw by email via p.j.shaw
It’s just two weeks now until our Annual Exhibition opens, with the Pre Exhibition Meeting for Members on Thursday 2nd August (Tangmere Village Centre as usual at 7.30pm) and our Preview Evening on Friday 10th August for all Members, family, friends and our guests, and your help is needed urgently on a number of things. Please see the reminders and requests that follow.
The Exhibition Week – Saturday 11th to Saturday 18th August (not Sunday): Most importantly, we need many, many more stewards over the week of the exhibition, as you can see from the rota here: –
Please let Phil Shaw at email@example.com know which slots you can take on. Phil will also be looking to sign Members up at the Pre Exhibition meeting on Thursday 2nd August, so please bring your diaries so that we can fill the rota up completely.
Exhibition Set Up: Friday 10th August is set up day – John Howes will need volunteers the evening before and on the morning to get all the equipment down to the Assembly Room. Full details form John at the Pre Exhibition meeting. All Members who have work in the exhibition and can be there, should come along to help put up their own prints that morning from 9am.
Card Sales: Members who make greetings cards are very welcome to bring these along for sales during the week of the exhibition. You can leave them on the Friday or drop them in on Saturday.
Preview Evening: Sheila Tester is once again masterminding the excellent buffet we lay on. Please provide finger food, such as cakes and savouries that can be cut into slices, or bite sized items, and ready plated will be very helpful. Bring these along before 7pm to the Assembly Room. The event itself is 7pm for 7.30pm and I’m pleased to say that Walter Benzie, past President of the RPS will be with us again this year, and the Mayor of Chichester, who is our Patron, Cllr Martin Bell is our guest of honour.
Take down – 5pm Saturday 18th August: At the close of the exhibition please come along to collect your prints (you will find some will be retained by the Selection Committee for next season’s external competitions) or arrange for someone else to collect your prints for you. We will also need help in dismantling the exhibition, clearing up the hall and getting all the equipment back to storage.
Finally – a a massive thank you everyone who has been involved in the extensive behind the scenes activity that is required to make our annual exhibition so successful each year and to those of you who have already signed up to help further!
It’s under six weeks now to the opening of the Annual Exhibition, so a few reminders about key dates.
Thursday 2nd August is the Club Members’ Pre Exhibition meeting, at 7.30pm at Tangmere as usual. The Exhibition Catalogue will be available then (still only £1!), plus posters and flyers for general distribution.
Stewarding, volunteers for stewarding are still needed for various dates throughout the week – watch out for a post from Phil Shaw, the Exhibition Secretary, with slots still needing to be filled.
Friday 10th August is set up day, all Members should attend to set up their own exhibit. There will be plenty of help on hand for those who haven’t done this before – from about 9am please and all done by midday.
That is also the Preview Evening to which all Members, family, friends and invited guests are very welcome. That’s a 7pm for 7.30 start. After the awards there will be our traditional buffet (Sheila Tester will be looking for helpers) and a chance to see the exhibition before it opens to the public the following day. This is a really enjoyable evening, so even if you didn’t submit anything for exhibiting this year, do come along
Saturday 11th to Saturday 18th August (closed Sunday) the Exhibition is open from 10am to 5pm each day, with coffee, tea and cake available. The are over 200 images in print form and some 150 projected images on show. members who wish to have their own greetings cards on sale can do so – with a 15% commission to the Club. Please bring these along on the Friday.
Saturday 18th August is take down day at 5pm. Again ALL Members should be on hand to take away their prints – although do please note that the Selection Committee will set some aside for consideration for external competitions next season.
AND ALSO! Don’t forget the exhibition that follows this is at the Novium Museum where images inspired by the Chichester district will be featured. Images from around the district – new and old – will be required, so watch out for information on submitting those.
Lorna Brown, Chair
I’m delighted to be able to tell you that both Lynne Owen and Tony Baverstock have achieved their Associateships with the Royal Photographic Society, a real accomplishment.
They will both admit that one of the hardest parts of gaining and ARPS is that the panel – of 15 images – has to have a theme. That the highest standards of photography are required is a given, but finding and delivering a themed panel is a real challenge.
Tony had considered all sorts of projects, and then one day was just crushing a drinks bottle for the recycling when he saw how beautifully the light played on the plastic. From that, he created a superb panel of black and white abstract images, as you can see from the examples below.
Lynne too had tried out a few ideas – and you might have seen something of her eventual successful panel at North Mundham earlier this year. A truly creative idea around windows that really open to reveal the interior – and again you can see a couple of these below.
It’s congratulations to both Lynne and Tony, both awarded ARPS in the Fine Art category. One with a deceptively simple idea, that required first rate mono photography and printing skills; the other with a more complicated concept that also took some construction skills!
I am very pleased to report that last night’s AGM was well attended and very productive, with the rather special interval for refreshments provide by ‘Cook’, who enticed us with curry tasters and a delicious dessert. Our hearty thanks to Carmel Lynch who arranged this treat with ‘Cook’.
Some changes are more visible, not least the way we run the AGM itself, now with greater input from the many who have worked so hard to make the Club successful. That includes the budgeting system David Harris, our excellent Treasurer, has established and reported on last night so that we can better predict that our finances are secure – so important last year when costs were running ahead of income and we were able to take steps to manage that.
Other changes have been about our public face, with an updated Club logo, renewed Annual Exhibition Banner and much improved labelling for the exhibition. We have upgraded our equipment – the laptops, screens, sound system and importantly the much needed new projector, greatly assisted in that by Mike Hancock’s funding bid. A replacement second projector is on order, plus equipment to help record our Special Interest Groups to improve our online self-help tutorials.
Our competition rules have been revised, and Vanessa Stern’s efficiency as Membership Secretary enabled us to reduce the overly long waiting list, with a successful mentoring scheme for new Members also set up. The website has been revamped, thanks to Jeff Owen, and is no longer dependent on one webmaster but can be kept up by a number of us. The Spring Exhibition, established in 2015 for our new and aspiring members, is now a firm fixture in the calendar, and we also introduced Little Christmas – the ladies celebration on Twelfth Night, very happily stolen from the Irish tradition.
I must thank Vanessa for her diligence as Membership Secretary, Linda Bullimore and Kim Tattersall for their contributions as Committee Members, and Mike Harris as Print Secretary, all of whom are stepping down now, although Linda and Mike Harris return in new roles. I must make a special mention of Dave Abbott, the longest serving of our Committee Members, ending his term of office this year, whose contribution to the Committee has been valued and to whom I must also add my personal thanks for his support to me, both as Chair and as a developing photographer.
Thanks are also due to Sheila Tester for SCPF representation and to Glyn Edmunds, for yet another year of first class programming, both of whom return next year. Thanks also to David Harris for his sterling work as Treasurer, and to Tim Crabb, our Secretary, both elected last year for two years. And of course especially to Mike Hancock for his enthusiasm as Vice Chair, his ready support to me and for his hard work in looking into the issues around our Club Class Members.
Our thanks are also due to our Post Holders who are standing down this year, to Linda for her excellent work as Small Print Secretary, to Cath Walter who has been our Publicity Secretary for many years and to Richard Smith who valiantly took on Regnum Crouch and Sussex Photographic Federation representation. Our grateful thanks to Jeff Owen, who stays on as PDI Competition Secretary, for all his hard work, including the major work on GDPR. Thanks are also due to Phil Shaw, stepping in as Exhibition Secretary and to John Field and Hilary Featherstone who took over the External Exhibitions, and to Iain McGowan and Sarah Nichol for their work with the North Mundham and Spring Exhibitions. The amount of sheer graft that goes on behind the scenes isn’t always evident, which is to the credit of this dedicated band of volunteers, and which of course includes our highly regarded Special Interest Group leaders.
In terms of hard graft we must also recognise the Selection Committee, tasked with ensuring we do the very best we can while including the widest possible representation of Members’ work in external competitions. Their skill in doing this has retained our position in the top league for prints in the SCPF and returned us to first division for PDIs. The Management and Selection Committees have worked closely together to try to make its working clearer. To that end we have published role guidance, introduced an appeals procedure for promotions, revised (and continue to revise) the assessment of new Members’ work and now quickly publish selected images and authors and the results of external competitions.
Many of our Members also work towards accreditations, and this year John Howes and Margret Preece achieved their EFIAPs, and Glyn reached his EFIAP/gold. These are achieved by entering salons, and while many of our Members have had success in these exhibitions, the total successful entries are too great to mention in full, but Glyn achieved a gold medal at the London Salon and Ann McDonald won gold at Southampton. Ann, who was elected to the prestigious London Salon this season, also won the only southern region award with a PAGB Gold Cup. Sheila Tester, who had many salon successes this year, also received an SCPF Roll of Honour. Sheila, Ann and Peter Rocchiccioli were all successful in the PAGB Masters of Print, and Peter secured his DPAGB, while Jeff Owen was awarded CPAGB. Andrew Vance was awarded an LRPS. On that very positive note the formal part of our AGM concluded, with outcome of the discussion regarding promotions and classifications reported on a separate post.
While I don’t fully step down as Chair until the opening of the Annual Exhibition, this is the last weekly newsletter post of the season, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support while I’ve been Chair and wish the new Committee and Post Holders every success.
At the Annual General Meeting on 24th May, our President, John Bradshaw, led a discussion on issues relating mostly to our Club Class Members. Mike Hancock, as Vice Chair, (and now incoming Chair) had ably led this work for us, and the conclusions presented last night had been considered and agreed by John; Ann McDonald, as Vice President; Lorna Brown, Chair; Peter Rocchiccioli, Chair of Selection Committee and Mike, and subsequently by both the Management and Selection Committees.
As John summarised, a meeting held with all Club Class Members in April 2018 had looked at why there were relatively low number of entries by Club Class Members into Club competitions; issues of support available to them and matters of grading and promotion, both internally or the new Members. This followed a very full response by those Members who had been invited to comment by email.
While there were many positives arising out of the responses and the meeting, it became clear that there were issues relating to lack of confidence, lack of technical knowledge, a desire for more specific support for new photographers and a perception of a log jam in Club Class, as well as issues relating to initial classifications on joining the Club.
To address these matters, is was agreed that: –
- A Developer’s sub group will be set up specifically for Club Class Members, developed and delivered by those Members themselves, and co-ordinated by Mike Hancock. This group will only be open to Club Class Members.
- Training material on the Club website will be reviewed and developed to encourage Members to do more self-help with presenting and manipulating their images.
- That in competitions for Club Class Members only, names will be announced only for those images held back by the judge.
- That all new and existing members with evidence of photographic qualifications at the following levels or above: LRPS, CPAGB, AFIAP or a Degree in Photography will be placed into the Intermediate or Advanced Class, as determined by the Selection Committee.
- That promotion from Club Class to Intermediate will be made easier with the Selection Committee looking favourably on those in Club Class submitting work to competitions regularly, so that more of those Members are promoted each year.
- It was also noted that for those dissatisfied with their grading as an outcome of their competition entries in any programme year, there is a formal appeal procedure set out on the Website.
- The criteria for promotion from Intermediate class to Advanced will remain as at present, that is only through assessment of work by the Selection Committee either in the initial classification on entering the Club or through performance in internal and external competitions and exhibitions.
The particular matter for discussion at the AGM was to consider the position for those Members who have been in Club Class for some time already and any newer Members joining the Club who do not achieve promotion for some time. There was a very supportive debate, with a number of questions raised and it was agreed that:
Existing members who have been in Club Class for 3 years or more and who wish to progress to the Intermediate Class will have the option of self-referral to Intermediate providing they have entered the main Club competitions during the previous year, irrespective of the marks obtained.
New Members placed in Club Class who have not been promoted after three years may also self refer to Intermediate, as long as they have taken part in competitions during those three years, irrespective of the marks obtained.
While the expectation is that this means entering ALL competitions for the specified period – along with an encouragement to take part in the Spring Exhibition – the Selection Committee will consider mitigating factors if Members are unable to enter every competition. Please also note that this does not means taking part in competitions is obligatory – from Club Class Members’ responses it was clear that some are very happy watching others progress but have no desire to do so themselves, and that will not change.
I would like to thank everyone for their positive response to this, and especially Mike Hancock for the work he undertook and the Selection Committee members for their sympathetic consideration of these issues.
Lorna Brown, Chair