As well as the main group activities, Chichester Camera Club also runs many special interest groups, the aim of which is to help people enjoy and improve their photography by sharing techniques and skills within a small unit situation. These groups are run in addition to the main weekly meetings and offer participants the opportunity to tap into the knowledge and experience of some of our most talented club members. There are six special interest groups each of which is led by a highly experienced club photographer and all usually meet once per month during the club season (September – May). They are open to both members and non members. The club levies a small attendance fee to cover costs (currently £3 for members, £4 for non-members).
The Contacts for the Special Interest Groups are as follows
|Digital||David Abbott /
|Portrait||Jan Davis /
Below is a list of our current special interest groups:
- Black & White Group.
This group will not continue with regular meetings. The scope covered by the group will be integrated in the other groups activities in particular the Print Group, Digital Imaging as well as the PAGB and RPS groups.
- The Developers Group. Leader: Iain McGowan FRPS
The main objective of this group is to help inexperienced photographers come to grips with the basics of photography, concentrating on techniques and composition rather than the technicalities of individual pieces of camera equipment. This includes outings led by an experienced member of the club with the results being reviewed at the next meeting. Photographers of all levels of experience are encouraged to come along with the idea of sharing skills and ideas.
- The Digital Imaging Group. Leaders: David Abbott and Sheila Tester
The emphasis in this group is on sharing digital skills and digital imaging problem solving, with many Photoshop, Lightroom and Photoshop Elements hints and tips being shared during the meeting.
Meetings: every 4th Tuesday of the month. See the ‘programme’ page for further details.
- The PAGB Distinctions/External Salons Group.Leader: Ann McDonald ARPS, DPAGB
- The PAGB Distinctions group has been set up to help people get the many distinctions available to them through the PAGB and FIAP distinctions route. The group encourages members to strive to achieve the very high standard of photography required to achieve these distinctions.We will also look at work for people who are trying to enter images into both National and International Photographic Salons and encourage members to enter these competitions, because acceptances in these Salons will often help gain the FIAP distinctions.We meet at 7.00pm on the first Monday of the month unless it is a bank holiday, in which case the meeting is moved to the second Monday. The meetings take place in the small hall in the Tangmere Village Centre.
- The Portrait Group. Joint leaders: Jan Davis and Andy Dulson
Portraiture requires skill and experience and this group aims to give its participants the opportunity to learn through working with others in a studio-like setting or on location. The club has good portrait equipment having just purchased some high quality studio lights.
Meetings: every 1st Wednesday of the month.
- The Print Group. Leader: Lorna Brown
The aim is to help participants improve the quality of their prints through mutual encouragement and constructive critique of the images that they take along to the meeting.
Meetings: every 2nd Tuesday of the month.
- The RPS Distinctions (LAF) Group. Leader: Graham Sergeant FRPS
LAF stands for Licentiate, Associate and Fellowship, which are the distinctions awarded by the Royal Photographic Society (RPS). Advice, encouragement and assistance are the keywords in this group where prospective submissions to the RPS are previewed and critiqued. Many club members have been helped over the years by this group to obtain distinctions from LRPS to FRPS and a number of current and past members have been actively involved with the RPS, sitting on the various distinctions panels. The close ties therefore between the club and the RPS help keep members of this group fully informed and up to date with the latest rules, requirements and trends.
Meetings: every 3rd Tuesday of the month.
Unless noted otherwise in the above text, all of these meetings are held between 7:30pm and 9:30pm at Tangmere Village Hall in the small back room. Please see the Programme page for meeting dates and other details.