All posts by Jeff Owen

Bluebell Photo Walk

We has a good turn out tonight for the Bluebell Photo walk, in addition to this keen bunch Richard Webb and Sue Watts also turned up.

People split into groups and went off to do their own thing, while generally staying together.  A few traditionalists brought their tripods, but there was also a lot of camera waving, or ICM as it is called.

Hopefully we can organise more photo walks during the summer break, Dell Quay, Chichester and West Wittering were mentioned as possible venues.

Jeff

Multimedia Group Meeting April 25th

This month’s meeting will be looking at Sound.

Ken Worrel and Graham Sergeant will do a basic introduction to Sound. Covering aspects such as microphone types and basic recording.

Graham will also start what will hopefully become a regular spot of doing a critique/analysis of one A/V per meeting starting with a short one (of just less than 3 minutes).

Graham says, “It was recently produced by an absolute beginner (with advice and guidance from a couple of experienced A/V-ers who I know. It is an excellent first attempt and I’m sure will help/inspire some of our beginners. As time goes by our own members could bring their work along for some constructive criticism. ”

We also will take time to see members work.

Focus Group Helpers Wanted

The Focus Group Exhibition is on at the Assembly Room starting Saturday.  It would be great if some of the muscular members of the Club could give us a hand getting the screens, etc. transported to town.  
 
The schedule is:
 
     – Thursday, 3:00PM at Tangmere to load up the screens, etc.
 
     – Friday, 8:30 AM at the Assembly Room to unload the trailer and set up.
 
Support has always been great whenever the Club has an exhibition and it would be appreciated if it continued for this occasion.
 
Thanks,
 
Pete Bamforth
 

Janey Devine – Multimedia Group – Wednesday March 28th 2018

For this month’s meeting we are pleased to welcome the highly talented Janey Devine FRPS. Janey is well known for her unique artistic style and recently for her documentary work (Janey leads the RPS SE Documentary Group) and as a member of the Focus group ( Focus Group Web Site) and Arena (ArenaWeb Site), her own web site is here.  She uses many types of media to publish her work, including books, films and AVs.

As promised, this meeting will have an Apple Mac bias. In the first half Janey will show how to use Final Cut Pro and then after the interval she will show some examples of her work, each illustrating some of the elements touched on in the first half.

Janey is a prolific generator of books and will bring examples along with her.

Please bring along examples of your work, or work in progress. As time permits we will look at work just before and after the interval.

Jeff

Urgent: Tonight’s Meeting is Cancelled

Reluctantly, the committee have decided that with severe bad weather warnings in the forecast the meeting tonight, which was the 2nd Club and Intermediate PDI competitions, will be cancelled.

I have spoken to the judge, Andrew Mills, and he has agreed to judge the entries at a future date.

If you get this post, please inform other club members that may not be able to pick up the news items.

Multimedia Group

The next meeting of the Multimedia Group is on Wednesday 28th February at 7:30pm in the small hall in Tangmere.

In this meeting we will start off with an overview session on putting a simple photoharmony AV together. This will cover the basics of:

  • transitions
  • title
  • synchronising to music
  • simple animations (Ken Burns effect)

Hopefully people will bring their work (or work in progress) and we shall look at this either side of the interval.

In the second half we will discuss how sound can add to AVs. Graham will show how to do some simple sound recording using a digital sound recorder and microphone. Then we will try to use the recorded sounds to enhance the simple photoharmony AV.

Handouts from AV Group Meeting

Thanks to all that attended, particularly the members from Steyning and other clubs. We concentrated on getting started with Pictures2Exe with Graham focusing on the importance of structuring and composing the AV so it fits well with the music and follows general cinematic guidelines.

Graham has kindly supplied two handouts from his talk at last nights meeting.  An Introduction to AV and Getting Started in AV.

We hope to build on this next meeting with further details on basic hints and tips on the software  such as animation (zoom and pan) and text and titles. We will also continue to show how to improve the composition of AVs.

We ran short of time last night so we didn’t get to review people’s work, but we will make more time for this next meeting, so please bring AVs and books or work in progress.

Jeff